Try Livescribe 3 on your Android smartphone or tablet.
We’re excited to announce the North American release of the public beta of Livescribe+ for Android. Now your Livescribe 3 smartpen can connect directly to supported Android devices. We’re getting close to officially launching Livescribe+, but with the wide range of Android devices, we wanted to ask your help to make sure everything is running well first.
Ready to give it a shot?
What will I need?
- A Livescribe 3 smartpen. Your current Livescribe 3 (standard or Pro edition) will work fine, and your current written notes already stored on your Livescribe 3 smartpen will transfer over to Livescribe+ for Android. If you need to purchase a Livescribe 3, please visit the Livescribe Store or check out our Where To Buy page for a retailer near you. If you already have notes on your Livescribe 3 smartpen, please see additional FAQs below.
- An Android smartphone or tablet with Bluetooth Smart (also known as Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy) hardware support. Livescribe Link will test for this when you first start the app (see below for download instructions). Click here for a preliminary list of compatible devices, which will grow during the beta test.
- Android KitKat 4.4.2 or newer operating system. Your mobile device must have Android 4.4.2 installed at a minimum to properly support Bluetooth Smart. Please check with your carrier or device manufacturer for an update if needed. Android 5.0 Lollipop is supported as well.
How do I join?
1) Download Livescribe Link from the Google Play store.
- Download Livescribe Link here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.livescribe.smartpenutility
- Livescribe Link is our Android service app. It manages the connection between your Livescribe 3 and your mobile device. In addition, it will check your device to make sure it has Bluetooth Smart and the proper version of Android. This is NOT the main Livescribe+ app – that’s later.
- Once you install and open Livescribe Link, it will let you know if your mobile device passed the compatibility requirements, if it needs an Android update (if available) or if your device doesn’t have Bluetooth 4.0 low energy hardware. If your device doesn’t pass, please let us know in the survey. If it works, then excellent! Move on to Step 2.
2) Join the Livescribe Android Beta Google Group:
- Click this link: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/livescribe-android-beta
- Log in with your Google Play store email (such as any @gmail.com account). This should be the same login that you use for the Play account on your mobile device.
- Click “Join group.”
- On the next screen you can adjust your name, and click “Join this group.”
3) Become a Tester
- Once you have joined the group, you next need to opt in as a tester for the Livescribe+ Beta here: https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.livescribe.companion
- Click “Become a Tester” to get access to the Google Play build.
- Please review updates to the Release Notes as we send out new builds.
4) Download and install the Livescribe+ Beta app
- After becoming a tester, you will see instructions for accessing Livescribe+ Beta on the Google Play store. Or, just click this link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.livescribe.companion
- NOTE: If you don’t see the app available (and you’re in North America), please try these steps in Incognito or Private mode on your web browser to ensure Google Play is registering the proper account – if someone has multiple Google accounts, the other one may be still be logged into Play and the app will not show up.
What should I test?
- Make sure that your Livescribe 3 smartpen can successfully connect and sync notes to as many supported devices as you have access to (you can connect up to four iOS or Android devices to one smartpen). You’ll want to put your device in Pairing Mode (blinking green light) before adding new devices. If you’ve already paired your smartpen to another mobile device, tap the Device Pairing button on the inside cover of your paper notebook so your LED starts flashing green. Once you connect, your LED will go blue.
- Capture your notes and share them via email, a file sharing service, or other Android services.
- Try recording and sharing a Livescribe PDF pencast with a friend.
- Use the Magnifying Glass icon in the upper right hand corner to search through your notes.
- Convert your notes to digital text by sliding your finger from left to right in the Feed view. Then select and share text or image files via email or other services.
- Have fun – try writing notes, drawing pictures while your smartpen is connected to your mobile device, or even just with your notebook and smartpen (not connected to your mobile device).
- If you run into any issues, please manually quit and restart the Livescribe+ and Livescribe Link apps before continuing testing.
- Please make sure to export any pencasts if you need to delete and reinstall the app, as those pencasts will be deleted when you delete the app.
Where are the release notes?
- Please see the latest Release Notes here.
Where do I report issues?
- We’ve set up a short survey to allow you to provide feedback and report issues. You’ll find a link to the survey within the Google Group Forum.
- Please note that while we’re happy to take product suggestions for the future, right now, we’re focusing on crucial issues as we prepare to launch Livescribe+ on Android.
- Also, please know that we’ll read all survey responses, but we may not be able to reply back to any specific reports.
If you’re still reading this, you’re a great candidate for our beta! Please download Livescribe Link, join the Google group, and start using Livescribe+ on your Android device…. and please let us know how it’s going in the comments below.
Working Press/Media: If you’d like to ask about trying the beta, please contact us at email@example.com for assistance.
Thanks in advance for your help making this release as strong as possible.
- How will I get updates? Once you download Livescribe+ and Livescribe Link from the Google Play store, the normal Android update process will alert you of any updates. If you want automatic updates, please go into Play Store, select My Apps, tap on Livescribe Link and tap the Overflow Menu and check the Auto-Update box. Then repeat for Livescribe+ so your apps will be automatically updated by Google. You may want to manually check for updates to get that day’s latest version.
- Can I use the Livescribe 3 smartpen I have today? Yes, you can pair your smartpen to up to four different iOS or Android devices and your written notes (already stored on the Livescribe 3 smartpen) will transfer over to each device. As with iOS, your pencasts will stay on the original mobile device unless you specifically send them from one device to the other via email, or sharing to various cloud destination solutions.
- How soon will I see my notes/Feed snippets appear in the app? If you already have a Livescribe 3 smartpen with lots notes stored on it, it may take a while to import and process your old data. Once you connect your smartpen to the Android app, you’ll see the ‘syncing’ icon. After roughly 20-40 minutes, you should see all the notes in your Notebooks. After another hour or two, all your old notes will be processed in the Feed, and turned into individual snippets. Then, the handwriting recognition will start processing those snippets into digital text. For new notes, you should see them converted and in the Feed within minutes, but it may take several hours to catch up on the older data. So please be patient if you don’t see your notebooks or anything in the Feed at first.
- How do I un-pair any existing devices if I have too many? You can view the list of paired devices by tapping the smartpen icon (when the smartpen is connected). You’ll see a list that says “Paired Devices” and you can tap on any of those devices to remove it from the list.
- Are all the features currently in Livescribe+ for iOS available at the launch of Livescribe+ for Android? In the same way that we’ve added new features to Livescribe+ for iOS since we first launched, we’ll also be adding certain features to the Android version after launch. For the latest list of features/known issues, please check the RELEASE NOTES.
- Auto-send to Microsoft OneNote or Evernote – however you can use the Android Send function to share PDF files of your notes (whole notebooks or any selection of pages) to most apps that support PDFs, including Evernote and OneNote.
- PIN Code support – if you already have a PIN code set on your smartpen, please clear the PIN code using the iOS version of Livescribe+ before installing the Android beta.
- Collections and Tagging – Support for tagging your notes for the Collections area, specifically the Flag, Tag and Favorite paper buttons in your notebook, will not be available at launch.
- Adding photos and text notes to your Feed.
- Which notebooks can I use during the Beta period? All Livescribe dot-paper notebooks are supported by all of our smartpens. You may need a firmware update for your smartpen to support the latest notebooks.
- Why is this for North America only? At this time, we need to limit the beta to the US and Canada to ensure that we can review feedback in a timely manner and respond if needed. When we have our official launch, Livescribe+ for Android will be available in additional countries.
- When will Livescribe+ for Android launch officially? We’re close to finishing the app, and this beta test is part of the process. We’ll provide a more precise date once we have feedback from the beta.
- Can I use the Sky wifi or Echo smartpens for this beta? No, the Android version of Livescribe+ is only for the Livescribe 3 smartpen. However, for Sky wifi, you can use the Android Evernote client to access your notes, and with Echo Desktop, you can export your pencasts to many different mobile devices.
- What happens to my data if the app crashes? Please know that as a beta, you are likely to run into some bugs, and there’s a slim chance you may lose your notes or pencasts due to unforeseen issues. That said, your written notes are stored on your smartpen, and so if you uninstall the app and reinstall it, all your notes will copy back over from the smartpen.
- How are pencasts working? Your audio pencasts are stored on your mobile device, so please email them to yourself or save to a cloud service such as Dropbox before uninstalling the Livescribe+ app. Also, as a beta, you may experience app crashes and lose pencasts during the beta period.
- What are the minimum requirements for Android devices?
- Android 4.4.2 KitKat or newer
- Bluetooth Smart (4.0 Low Energy) hardware support
- Check our preliminary list of supported devices for more specifics