Founded in 2007, Livescribe Inc. has developed a new low-cost mobile computing platform to enhance personal productivity, learning, communication and self-expression for written and spoken information. The company’s platform increases the fundamental value and use of writing and speech by enabling the capture, access and sharing of this information any time, anywhere, on any device.
- Smartpens: the Echo and Pulse smartpens capture everything consumers hear and write and provide quick and accurate access to important information by simply tapping directly on handwritten notes either on Livescribe paper, on a computer or mobile device.
- Livescribe Paper: Livescribe smartpens work in conjunction with Livescribe paper, which is plain paper printed with an almost invisible grid of micro-dots. The smartpen’s high‐speed infrared camera reads the dot pattern, which allows the smartpen to track and remember where ink is written and enables a wide range of applications.
- Livescribe Desktop: Livescribe Desktop allows people to save, search, and organize digital versions of their handwritten notes synced with audio to their computer. Notes on Livescribe Desktop are fully searchable and easily sharable via a simple drag and drop function to online applications, services and mobile devices using Livescribe Connect.
- Livescribe Connect: With Livescribe Connect, consumers can also easily share a digital version of their notes and audio, as an interactive pencast, to people and destinations of their choice-all from Livescribe paper . This communication and collaboration software suite makes it simple to share pencasts by email, directly to mobile devices including the Apple® iPad®, and to online applications and services such as Google Docs™, Google Sites™, Microsoft® OneNote, Facebook, Evernote® and a MyLivescribe account, Livescribe’s online community. Livescribe Connect also introduces a new pencast format – the Pencast PDF. The Pencast PDF leverages Adobe’s ubiquitous, business-standard PDF format- now anyone with the free Adobe Reader® 10 or higher can easily hear, see and share an interactive Pencast PDF.
- Online Community: All registered customers receive 500MB of free online storage for their pencasts. With the MyLivescribe account connector, customers can easily upload and store pencasts for convenient sharing and access from mobile devices.
Products & Availability
Livescribe smartpens start at $119 and are available in a 2GB, 4GB and 8GB capacities, storing approximately 200, 400 and 800 hours of audio respectively. Livescribe smartpens are available online at livescribe.com, along with Livecribe paper, apps and accessories. Smartpens and accessories can also be purchased at Best Buy, Apple, Brookstone, select Staples stores and online at Amazon.com, Apple.com, BestBuy.com, Staples.com and Target.com.
Livescribe has expanded into more than 40 international markets, including Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Korea and the United Kingdom. For a full list of Livescribe’s international retailers, please visit www.livescribe.com/smartpen/retailers.html.
Livescribe is a privately-held company with funding from Aeris Capital, Lionhart Investments Ltd., Vantage Point Venture Partners, Crosslink Capital, Scale Venture Partners, Qualcomm, TransLink Capital, Presidio Ventures and Keating Capital. To date, the company has raised more than $100M.
Livescribe’s executives have worked for such notable companies as HP, Palm, Apple, TomTom, Autodesk and Leapfrog.
- Gilles Bouchard, Chief Executive Officer
- Rick Neely, Chief Financial Officer
- Byron Connell, Chief Marketing Officer
- Sasha Pesic, Executive Vice President, Corporate Development, Chief Legal Officer
- Brett Halle, Senior Vice President of Engineering
- Stephen Dix, Senior Vice President of Sales
- Wendy Brauchler, Vice President of Human Resources
- Andy Van Schaack, Ph.D., Senior Science Advisor